What is VoLTE?
VoLTE stands for Voice over Long Term Evolution or LTE which is another name for 4G. When you make a voice call over VoLTE, you connect quicker and enjoy a clearer connection with reduced background noise. Mobile calls over the internet also help reduce background noise, so you can focus more on the conversation.
Getting Started with VoLTE
To get starting using VoLTE calling you will need a device capable of VoLTE and to be within our coverage area. However, please note this service does have some limitations in poor coverage areas or in areas where you might move from 4G to 3G often due to the terrain or other coverage factors.
Android devices have VoLTE turned on by default. However, if you need to manually turn VoLTE on your Android phone, just follow these simple steps:
- Android phone users – Go to Settings > Connections > Mobile networks > Toggle VoLTE Calls ‘ON’
Currently, iPhones only have a basic VoLTE capability and is turned off by default. To manually turn VoLTE on your iPhone, just follow these simple steps:
- iPhone users – Go to Settings > Mobile > Mobile Data Options> Voice and Data > Toggle VoLTE ‘ON’
If you’re using a phone that isn’t on our list of VoLTE-compatible devices, it’s not easy for us to say whether it’ll work with VoLTE on Kiwi Internet mobile.
Roaming with VoLTE
Around the world, our network partners who support roaming are retiring their 2G and 3G networks. This will help free up frequency spectrum and network resources for their 4G and 5G networks. As a result, when you now roam in countries where 2G and 3G has been switched off, you will need a to ensure the following:
- You have an eligible Kiwi Internet mobile plan
- You have confirmed your destination is VoLTE roaming-enabled
- You have a VoLTE compatible device.
- You have enabled mobile data and VoLTE on your device
Frequently asked questions
What if my mobile device doesn’t support VoLTE?
If your phone can’t support VoLTE, you should still be able to use 4G for data. Your phone will continue to use 3G to make voice calls.
Can I use VoLTE if my data is switched off?
Yes, you can. VoLTE calls don’t use your phone’s data plan. It simply uses the 4G network to help you connect quicker on voice calls and enjoy a clear connection with reduced background noise.
Can I make an emergency 111 call with VoLTE?
Yes, you can call 111 in an emergency using VoLTE. However, if your phone is not VoLTE compatible and if you’re in an area that doesn’t have 3G, you won’t be able to make any voice calls, including to emergency services.
Why can’t I make or receive calls even though my phone is listed as VoLTE capable?
If your phone is listed by us as a device capable of VoLTE, but you are still unable to make or receive voice calls, here are some of the possible reasons why this is happening:
- VoLTE is not enabled on your handset
- You may need or you need to update your device software
- If your phone isn’t from 2degrees, or you bought it overseas, it may not work with VoLTE on our network
- You don’t have 4G coverage in your current location
- Your 2degrees SIM may need to be enabled for VoLTE